Monday, March 19, 2012

Scottish 80 (clean) Tasting


For this beer I wanted something more malt focused with a toffee sort of flavor but not overly sweet. I was also looking for something that I could make 10 gallons of and oak half of. After some back and forth, I decided Scottish 80 was the right place to start. Low bitterness, very little hop flavor to get in the way, a darker beer in the 5%abv range.
I put together a recipe of base malt, some English caramel malt, roasted barley, some English hops and a dry English yeast (S-04).  I boiled down the first gallon of wort drained from the mash.
   Full recipe here.   Brew day here.
This tasting is for the clean half. The other half is still on oak waiting for a free keg. I hope to have it ready soon enough to compare these side by side, but that is a story for another day.

Appearance:  pours with a thick off white head. The beer is dark but with great clarity. In the light you can see a lot of red. Its much better than the first week of murky, yeasty beer I was getting. I have to be more careful when racking to the keg next time.

Aroma:  Maybe a hint of roastiness with a mild aroma of medium dark malt and a hint of sweetness.

Taste:  Not enough of that caramel toffee flavor that I was so hoping, for but the flavor is nice. Low fruitiness and almost no hop flavor leaves room to taste the subtle malt flavors.

Mouth feel:  This beer has a great creamy start that finishes crisp. Its at the same time silky and refreshing.

Overall:  I really like how this turned out, but am a little sad that I missed the toffee flavor I was aiming for.
It reminds me a little of Smithwicks, which isn't too surprising considering how close this is to an Irish red ale. I have been working to develop a couple house beers to have on tap at all times. This recipe is now in the running. I brought a growler to my father in law's birthday and it was well received.
Can't wait until I can try the oak'd half!

No comments:

Post a Comment