Friday, April 6, 2012

Second run Heffeweizen - tasting

Heffeweizen

This is the perfect beer to welcome in the spring - a German Heffeweizen. It is a refreshing wheat beer fermented with a characterful yeast that gives clove and banana esters. This year I did not dedicate a brew day to just this one beer. Instead, I made it from the second runnings from the lambic mash. The difference is that I pulled some for a small decoction. This is where you boil some of the mash before adding it back in. This is supposed to impact the color and flavor, but I cannot really say how as I have never compared two side by side.

Appearance. Pours with a thick pillowy white head that hands around forever. The body is a nice yellowish orange, hazy but with a little more clarity than it should have.

Aroma. Definitely a heffe here. The banana/clove dominates the aroma.

Taste. Tastes of a refreshing wheat beverage with a hint of tartness. No detectable hops. Neither sweet nor bitter.

Mouthfeel. Light creamy texture, which is interesting considering the low finishing gravity and high carbonation. Not sure what is keeping it from being seltzer like, but it is nice. The body is light and refreshing. I am looking forward to some hot weather so I can sit out in the sun with this.

Overall. This is a nice refreshing beer with enough character to not be boring. Considering this was the leftovers from another beer, I save times and money making it. Of course the hops, yeast and some malt extract and propane were not free.
It. Does not have as much of the banana that I was secretly hoping for. Next time I may have to raise the ferment temp.

Notes:
'Recipe' here
  2/20/12 - Brewed 5.3 Gal  OG=1.040
   Fermented cold (~60F)
  3/9/12 - Keg   FG=1.009  ABV=4%
     Great hazi-ness.  Not yeast-murky, but more of a starch haze.
     More clove, less banana, maybe a little sweet.  has potential.  will be good carb'd  

No comments:

Post a Comment