Thursday, May 31, 2012

Zythos IPA - Tasting


Zythos IPA and hops
I love the way this beer turned out. My goal was strong citrus American hop flavor without too much bitterness. I did originally plan it to have higher alcohol, but it is ok where it ended up. I do not expect this keg to lay too long, which is ok because these IPAs are best fresh. This weekend, I will be brewing a lighter pale ale version of this.
Links: Recipe Brewing

The beer is this pretty copper color with great clarity. I think I will stick with using a secondary. It helps to drop the yeast out before I get it into the keg.

The aroma is all hops. American citrus type hops.

For the most part, the flavor matches the aroma, hoppy goodness. There is a little malty sweetness to help balance.

The beer is quite drinkable, especially for a 7.5%abv beer. It has this thirst quenching quality to it. I could drink it by the quart.

Notes:
  4/7/12 - Brewed - OG=1.061 (Poor efficiency)
  4/22/12 - Secondary G=1.005   + 1 oz Zythos dry-hop
      Hazy, but not too yeasty.  Some hop aroma, good hoppy flavor.
  5/10/12 - Keg Zythos IPA  FG=1.004  ABV=7.5%
      + 1oz Zythos keg-hop
  Initial tasting - Soft with pleasant hop flavor with a hint of "Soapy"   Low bitterness
  So far, I have not had any issues with the keg hops. I didn't do anything special, just tied up 1oz of pellet hops in a mesh Baggie and threw them in.

And a thank you to Keith for the perfect mug to drink this beer from!

No comments:

Post a Comment