Saturday, July 14, 2012

Zythos Pale Ale

With the success of my Zythos IPA, I decided to use most of the remaining hops for a lighter pale ale version to serve on July 4th.


I based the recipe off of the IPA, lowered the alcohol a bit, adjusted bittering hops to match and changed a few things based on what I had on hand.

This was kegged and ready just in time for our July 4th BBQ. I was hoping it would have cleared up more by then, but it still had chill haze. Good thing we served in red plastic cups :)

Brewing:
Recipe here

The brew day was reletively uneventful.  Gravity was a hair under what I wanted, but still OK.  I used 4 ounces of Zythos hops in the boil, and one each dry hop and keg hop.  Original Gravity: 1.045, Final Gravity: 1.005.  ABV: 5%

Tasting:
It has finally cleared up and looks great, though I might like it a little lighter.
A nice hoppy aroma with citrus fruitiness. The flavor is similar with a nice balance. Definitely not too sweet or bitter, which makes it nice and drinkable. The light body helps here too. The carbonation is a little high, which is the only thing keeping me from from chugging it.

Overall:
I do like this beer, but am not sure if I will brew again. In the lighter beers, people seem to preffer more malt/less hops.  I will focus my hoppy efforts on the stronger IPAs.

No comments:

Post a Comment