Thursday, April 19, 2012

Scottish 80 (Oak) Tasting



The beer:  This is the second half of my Scott 80 beer that I brewed up 10 gallons of back in
January.  Full Recipe here.  Tasting for the 'clean' half here.  For this part, I aged it an additional 5 weeks on
1 ounce of medium toast Hungarian oak cubes.
OG=1.049, FG=1.012 ABV=4.75%

Appearance: Pours with a think head whith good retention, which leaves lacing all the way down the glass.
There is a decent clarity through the dark reddish-brown body.

Aroma:  A nice toasted oak aroma.  Some nuttyness. 
It gives it some of the toffee flavor I was looking for in the base beer.
The oak is not overly strong like cut lumber.  Something I have heard too much can give.

Taste: Again, oak is the dominant character here. A little bit of matiness sneaking in the background.  From the oak, I can taste some vanilla, caramel, wood, slight fruitines and maybe some nuts.  Its like a whisky without the burn.

Mouthfeel:   Slight creaminess, but overall a thinner beer. The carbonation is just right to not make it seltzery.  It does leave a slight dryness to the mouth afterwards; this may be from the oak tanins.

Overall:  I think the 1 ounce oak for 1 month was just about right for this.  It could go a little more,
but much more would be way too overpowering.  Much of the subtle characteristics of the base beer are lost in the oakiness, but since the primary goal of this batch was to experience what oak gives the beer, I don't mind that at all.
The extra month of aging did help the beer.  The clean half was kegged too soon and the first few pints
had way too much yeast. 
I will definitely use oak in beer again, although I will probably take a break from it for the summer. 
I might even do this recipe - the only change would be to up the malt character and possibly something to give it more body - Like flaked barley or oats.
I have the cubes I pulled from this currently soaking in some Vodka to make me some cheap imitation whiskey.  It is intersting to see what flavors you can get out of it over different lengths of time.
Some day I would love to work with barrels, but good luck talking the wife into that one!

Notes:
1/29/12 - Brewed 2x5 gal   OG=1.049
  2/15/12 Secondary Oaked Scott 80
     +1oz JD soaked Med-Toast Hungarian oak  
  3/23/12 - Keg FG=1.012    4.75% ABV
     Decent clarity.  Dark reddish brown.
     Nice oaky flavor.  there but not overpowering.  Almost a buttery sweetness to it.
  4/19/12 - This tasting

1 comment: